INSTITUTE OF COMMUNITY MEDICINE|
History of the department:
The Institute of Community Medicine in Madras Medical College and Research Institute was established in the year 1895, then known as the Hygiene department.
In 1956, the same was renamed as Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine. In 1995, it was upgraded as Institute of Community Medicine.
The Institute is headed by the Director and the teaching faculty includes Associate Professors, Assistant Professor, Tutors, Health Officer, Entomologist, Statistician, Public Health Engineer, and Public Health Nurse.
Post graduate courses :
· M.D (Community Medicine)
· Diploma in Public Health
Under graduate courses:
· First, Second and Third Year M.B.B.S Students & CRRIs.
Para medical courses:
· Nursing graduate and Postgraduates.
· Physiotherapy and Pharmacy graduates.
· Special training is being given to Factory Inspectors Health Inspectors and Laboratory technicians and others
· M.D (Community Medicine) – 4 students per year
· Diploma in Public Health – 8 students per year
· M.B.B.S. Degree from any Indian university recognized by the Medical Council of India & and obtained permanent registration from any of the State Medical Councils.
Course duration :
· M.D(Community Medicine) – 3 years
· Diploma in Public Health - 2 years
Post graduate Entrance Examination based on NEET – PG, and counselling held as All India and State based on NEET – PG score.
The Tamil Nadu DR.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai.
The Institute is actively involved in innovative strategies to make students understand the various components of Community medicine and its importance.
While seminars, symposia, journal clubs, lectures and group discussions are a regular feature of the department, the department involves actively in innovative strategies such as projects for all undergraduate and nursing students encouraging them to become Researchers in the future.
The Institute also conducts periodic seminars with renowned guest speakers for the benefit of students in current topics. The Institute is fashioning and gearing itself, knowing that the future of healthy India lies in the making of quality community Physicians and Nurses.
Periodic Academic activities:
· Seminars – on Tuesdays & Fridays
· Journal Clubs.
· Group Discussions
· Fever OPD In MMC Hospital
· Nodal Centre In Integrated Disease Surveillance Project
· Adolescent Health Project - Training Of CRRIS & Undergraduates
· Periodical Guest Lectures - By Eminent Professors From Various Institutes
· Recently Conducted Workshop On Leptospirosis & Released A Book On Leptospirosis
· Participating Evaluation Of DEC-MDA Programme
· Participating in monitoring of Pulse Polio immunization Programme as WHO external Ministry
· Guidance & support for under graduate & post graduate students in research also.
PHCS attached with the institute are ,
Urban Health Training Centers attached with the institute are ,
· Lodge, Hotel & House Inspection.
· Clinical Social Case Examination-Field Survey.
· Regional Meteorological Centre, Nungambakkam.
· Sewage Treatment Plant – Koyambedu.
· Water Treatment plant- Sembarampakkam.
· MMC Canteen Inspection.
· Epidemic outbreak investigation & control activities.
· Malaria Treatment Centre – Zone 2. Kondithoppu ,Chennai.
· Food Analysis –Lab Inspection- RipponBuilding .
· Slaughter House Inspection- Villivakkam.
· TWAD Board.
· Malaria Clinic –Elephant Gate.
· Fairs & Festivals Public Health Arrangements.
· Chennai Metro- Water Treatment Plant, Kilpauk.
· Quiz Programme for MBBS students
· Seminars for 3rd year MBBS students
· Research activities
· Block postings
· CRRIs posted to PHCs
· Occupational Safety in Hospitals.
· Mosquito management.
· Antimicrobial Resistance.
· Total Sanitation Campaign.
· Public Health in TamilNadu.
· Iron Health Programme.
· Human Resource Management.
· Preventive Siddha.
· Clinical Establishment Act.
· Health Committee Reports.
· National Programme for Control of Deafness
· Final disposal of deceased
· Public health Legislations
· Community participation
· Food Safety and Standards Act
· Sex Ratio
· World Health Organization
· Congenital Anomalies
· Medical Tourism
· Essential Medicines and Inventory Management
· Preventive Dentistry
· Adolescent Health
· Radiation Hazards
· Sources of data, data collection and data presentation
· Current health status and health problems – India and Tamil Nadu
· National Health Policy 2002
· Millennium Development Goals
· Universal Health Coverage
· Budget and different types of cost
· Tamil Nadu Public Health Act
· Epidemic Disease Act,1897
· Social Audit
· Transplantation of Human Organs Act
· PNDT act
· Child Labour and Child Rights
· Factories Act, 1948
· ESI act
· Newer Vaccines
· Municipal Solid Waste ( M & H ) rules,2000
· Medical Termination Of Pregnancy Act, 1998
· World Health Report
· Adverse Events Following Immunization
· Registration of Birth and Death Act,1969
· Eye Donation
· E- Waste Management
· Mahathma Gandhi NREG act ,2005
· A Cross Sectional study on prevalence of common ear problems among government primary school children in Kancheepuram block of Kancheepuram district-2012.
· A cross sectional study on iodized salt usage at house hold level in ulagankulampanchayat of Tirunelveli district-2012
· Cross sectional study on KAP on dengue among the higher secondary school children in chennai corporation-2012
· A cross sectional study to find the prevalence of CSOM and the risk factors among high school children, Kancheepuram.
· A cross sectional study to assess the health status of school children studying in a private school children, chennai.
· A cross sectional study to assess the health status of school students of model schools of Tamil Nadu. 2011
· A cross sectional study to assess the dental hygiene and dental problems in school students model school of Tamil Nadu-2012.
· A cross sectional study to find the prevalence of diabetes mellitus among adults aged 30 and above in north zone of chennai, Tamil Nadu-2011
· A cross sectional study on dental caries prevalence and knowledge, Attitude and practice regarding dental hygiene among Govt. High school students, Kancheepuram district, 2012.
· A Cross sectional study to find the prevalence of Modifiable Risk Factors among adolescent school students in corporation school, chennai-2012.
· A cross sectional study on prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among adults aged 30 yrs and above in Ellapuram block of Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu-2012.
· A Cross sectional study prevalence of low bone density and associated modifiable risk factors among individual aged 18yrs and above at Nanganallur, an urban area of chennai-2012.
· A cross sectional study on prevalence of modifiable cardiovascular risk factors among 1st year medical students of madras medical college-2012
· A cross sectional study on prevalence of underweight among Govt. Primary School children in Pulianthopu Zone, Chennai-2012.
· A Cross sectional study on prevalence of health problems among inmates of old age homes in North Zone of Chennai -2012.
· Awareness of Urban Slum Mothers Regarding Home Management of Diarrhoea.
· Acute Respiratory Tract Infection in under 5 Yrs Old- Diagnosis & Management by Health Worker Female.
· A Study of Family Background of Juveniles & Reasons for their Admission to Observation Home.
· Converge Evaluation survey of pulse Polio Immunization, Routine Immunization, Maternal care 1999 in Ambattur Municipality.
· Study of Utilization of Antenatal care services in a Rural Area Coimbatore Dt. Tamil Nadu.
· Prevalence of Malnutrition in Under 6 Yrs Children of ICDS (Thanjavur Municipality).
· A Study on awareness & Usage of Iodized Salt In Urban Slum Population.
· A Study on the Feasibility of using Partographs by the Village Health Nurses/ Auxiliary Nurse Midwives in the MCH Centers of Institute of Public Health, Poonamallee.
· Prevalence of Smoking Among School Boys.
· Comparative study of Malnutrition in Children of ICDS in Urban & Rural Areas.
· Study of Knowledge about Malnutrition in Children among Urban & Rural Mothers.
· A Study of the Implementation of VazhvoliThittam in PHC Area.
· Case study on Leptospirosis.
· Study of Elderly People in old age home.
· Study of Alcoholism in Auto Rickshaw Drivers in Madras City & Associated Risk Factors.
· Study of Inmates of Govt. juvenile Home Psycho Social study of Neglected & Uncontrollable Juveniles in a Govt. juvenile Home in North Chennai.
RESEARCH WORKS IN INSTITUTE OF COMMUNITY MEDICINE-2016:
· Validity of urine dipstick as a screening tool for detecting chronic kidney disease – a cross sectional study
· A Study of Prevalence of preventable skin clean & risk factor among households on selective slums of Chennai .
· A cross sectional study of the physical morbidity and risk factors among fishermen of Chennai
· A cross sectional study on Domestic accidents in selected village in Sankarankoil,.Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu-2014.
· A morbidity study of health related risk factors of Bus drivers of Metropolitan Transport Corporation Limited, Chennai
· A study on feasibility of using partograph by VHN / ANM in MCH centers of IPH, Poonamallee
· A study to correlate television viewing to physical health and academic performance of high school children in Chennai 2015
· KAP on personal listening devices among college students in Chennai
· A study on prevalence of refractive error and its Associated factors among school children in krishnagiri District, tamilnadu- 2015
· A study on the prevalence of child abuse and its influence on Depression and anxiety among young adults in colleges of chennai, 2015
· Health related behaviours and quality of life among people with
· Non communicable diseases in rural and urban tamilnadu – a comparative study
· A study on prevalence of depression and their Risk factors among elderly in selected slums of chennai, tamilnadu – 2015
· Knowledge attitude practice about carbonated drinks among higher secondary school students of rural Tamilnadu -2015
· A study on prevalence of Loneliness and its association with health problems among elderly in Chennai-2015
· A cross sectional study to assess the factors affecting the compliance to anti- tuberculosis treatment among defaculters under DOTS in Villupuram, Tamilnadu -2015
· KAP study on dog bite management among rural community at Padiyanallur, PHC of Sholavaram Block, Thiruvallur District -2016
· Knowledge, Attitude practice of food safety of rural women in Sivaganga district
· A cross sectional study to assess the availability and usage of personal protective equipments among construction workers in Madurai district-2016
· A case control study to assess the association between Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Gestational Diabetes among females aged 30-35 years in Tiruvallur District -2016
· Knowledge, Attitude, Practice of safe drinking water and sanitation hygiene in rural residents of Virudhunagar district, South India – A household survey-2016
· Awareness and Attitude of organ donation among college students, Thiruvannamalai district, Tamilnadu 2016
· Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Tuberculosis Notification by private Medical practitioners of Kancheepuram, South India -2016
· Health seeking behaviour among rubber plantation workers of Kanyakumari district -2016
· A community based cross sectional study on the prevalence of malnutrition among elderly persons of Kancheepuram district – Tamilnadu – 2016
· Smart Phone Addiction risk and sleep disturbance – a cross sectional study among medical students
· Knowledge and attitude on exclusive breast feeding among the male partners of nursing mothers in a rural area of Tamilnadu,2016
· Prevalence of anemia and associated risk factors in tribal late adolescents in Kolli Hills, Namakkal, 2016
· A cross sectional study to assess the health profile of street sweepers and sanitary workers of Zone 8, greater Chennai Corporation, Tamilnadu, India -2016
· A cross sectional study to assess the out of pocket expenditure on Diabetes Mellitus among the urban population of Thoothukudi district, Tamilnadu, India – 2016
· A cross sectional study to determine the health seeking behaviour of migrant construction workers, Chennai -2016
· A cross sectional study of the health profile of beedi workers in Kudiyattam, Vellore district, Tamilnadu -2016
· A cross sectional study to assess the job satisfaction among Village Health Nurse of Tamilnadu-2016
· Effectiveness of health education in improving menstrual hygiene practice among college girls of Chennai -2016
· A cross sectional study to assess the prevalence of physical inactivity among diabetic patients of Thoothukudi Corporation, Tamilnadu
· A study to assess the existing manpower in Community Health centres of Madurai district -2016
· A study to assess the existing lab services in Community Health Centres of Madurai district-2016
· Impact of health education intervention on food safety and hygiene among the street food vendors in North Chennai
· A cross sectional study to assess the prevalence of self medication of allopathic drugs among IT professionals in Chennai.
· A cross sectional study to assess the health problems among brick kiln workers in Kancheepuram district.
· A cross sectional study to compare Knowledge attitude and practice of road safety measures among Undergraduate medical and non medical students in Chennai.
· Study to access Knowledge attitude and practice about air pollution, health hazards and its prevention among traffic policemen in Madurai, Tamilnadu. 2017
· To assess prevalence and associated risk factors of postnatal depression among mothers of Kancheepuram district.
· Birth preparedness and complication readiness among recently delivered mothers in Perambalur district, Tamilnadu.
· A study to assess the prevalence of burnout among information technology professionals in Chennai-A cross sectional study 2017
· A cross sectional study to access the service provisions for non communicable diseases at primary and secondary level health care centres in Namakkal.
· A cross sectional study to assess consumption of HFSS( food high in fat, salt and sugar) among medical students.
· Knowledge and practice on Dog bite management among the health care providers of a health unit district.
CME / WORKSHOPS:
||DATE & MONTH
|Soft Skill workshop
|Research Methodology workshop for CRRIs
|Leprosy Workshop with Coordination DPH Health education chengalpet CLTRI unit
|Anti Tobacco –Workshop for celebrating the Anti tobacco day
|Intercollegiate community medicine quiz – State level quiz for Tamilnadu and Pondicherry medical college
|NCD Research protocol presentation
|Competition – Drawing, posters and slogan competition for World Health Day
|Seminar on World Health Day theme – Daibetes
|IAPSM Quiz for UG students
|Workshop on Time and stress management –Cdr.John Edison
|Research Methodology Workshop for Post Graduates
||30 & 31 of August
|Research Methodology Workshop for Post Graduates
||09,10,11 of August
|Research Methodology Workshop for Faculties
||27 , 28 of July
|Nutrition Prize Exam – Elocution on “ Anemia in Women – a major public health problem”
||18, 19 of January
· Awareness on Diabetes – celebration on World Diabetes Day at Marina Beach, Amphitheatre
· Antibiotic Awareness Week Celebration
· World Disability Day celebration at Guild of Service Home for Handicapped Children on 24,December 2016
· Breast Feeding Week Celebration – Essay Competition on “Role Of Men In Promoting Breast Feeding”
· Dengue Awareness Campaign in Schools of Chennai
· Flood Relief Health Camp
INVOLVEMENT OF NATIONAL PROGRAMME:
· Water Sanitation and Hygiene –Assessment of Public Health facilities in High Priority Districts of Tamilnadu- Monitoring in collaboration with UNICEF
· Pulse Polio Immunization – Monitroing in Collaboration with WHO
· Evaluation of Institutional deliveries and MCH Sevices at Mannavanurblock,PalaniHUD,Dindigul district
· Measles Rubella Vaccination Campaign – Communication and Cold Chain Monitring in collaboration with UNICEF
· Measles Rubella Vaccination Campaign –Monitoring in collaboration with UNICEF
· Dengue prevention