|::Departments : Clinical : Geriatric Medicine|
The Department Of Geriatric Medicine was established on April 1978, by Dr.V.S.Natarajan MD,FRCP, former Professor & HOD, with the aim of providing comprehensive health care to Senior Citizens.
Geriatric Medicine Department in Madras Medical College is the first of its kind in India. The aim being to improve the quality of life of the sick and destitute elders.
Out patient Services started in 1978, catered to the Physical, Mental and Social problems of the elders. In the year 1986 Separate ward for Geriatric Medicine was started for acute care & Rehabilitation. An osteoporosis clinic is conducted by the Department every Thursday from the year 2011.
This is the only Department in the country with Post-Graduate Training Programme in Geriatric Medicine (MD- Geriatrics). The department has been approved as a training centre for training doctors in the field of geriatrics by WHO. The Department has been upgraded as a Regional Geriatric Centre under NPHCE by Govt of India.
Post Graduate Degree Course - M.D Geriatrics
M.D Geriatrics - 3 seats per year
Should have acquired MBBS Degree from a recognised University.
M.D Geriatrics - 3 years
Through Entrance Examinations and Counseling
The Tamil Nadu DR.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai.
- 6 Months-Internal Medicine
- 9 Months-Speciality
- 21 Months-Geriatric Medicine
University Examination details
The students sit for the university examination at the end of the 1 st year for basic sciences examination and 3rd year for 3 papers followed by a clinical and viva voce examination as per regulations of the Medical Council of India.
Basic Medical Sciences
Paper 1 - Internal medicine, including Geriatric Psychiatry
Paper 2 -Geriatric medicine
Paper 3 -Geriatric Medicine, Rehabilitation, Recent advances
- Short case – 5 cases
- Ward rounds- 5 cases
- OSCE- 10 Stations
- Dissertation and Log book Evaluation
- Viva voce
Continuing Medical Education programmes and Conferences
From 1990 - 2000
From 2001 - 2003
- Conducted first national conference in Geriatrics at Chennai in November 1990.
- Organised Psycho Geriatric Conference in 1994.
- Presented a paper at GSI Mid conference at Pondicherry –1998.
- Contributed in the Geriatric National Conference on undergraduate curriculam formation at New Delhi in 1999.
- Presented a paper at mid conference Trivandrum on falls and osteoporosis –1999
- Lecture given on stroke rehabilitation in elderly in the CME on Geriatric Rehabilitation on1999 at Chennai
- Presented three papers in International conference on Geriatrics at New Delhi –1999.
- Conducted a CME in Geriatrics at IMA , Udumalpet –1999
- Conducted a CME on Stroke at GGH . Chennai April 2000.
- Lecture on current concepts in the management of elderly at Annamalai University –2001.
- Curriculam designing for undergraduate and postgraduates at AIIMS, New Delhi- 2001.
- Lecture on organization of Geriatric Care (WHO Training programme) at BHU, Varanisi –2001.
- Lecture on Nutrition and falls in elderly at WHO training programme at Trivandrum –2002.
- Presented stroke in elderly – APICON , Chennai –2002.
- Lecture on infections in elderly at International Medical Science Academy- 2002.
- Presented a paper in National Conference – Ageing in India at Hydrabad.- 2002.
Lecture in Osteoporosis at Madurai Medical College 2002.
From 2004 - 2005
- Adverse drug reactions in elderly at CME on adverse drug reactions organized by Pharmacology Department Stanley Medical College.
- CME on Cancer in the elderly at GGH - January 2003.
- CME on Hypertension in the elderly at GGH, Chennai February 2003.
- Conducted a CME in Geriatrics on the occasion of Silver Jubilee Celebration of the Department of Geriatric Medicine, Madras Medical College, Chennai.
From 2006 - 2007
- Three lectures given – Approach to acutely ill elderly, urinary incontinence and prevention of fractures in elderly in the Mid Term Conference – Jodhpur, Rajasthan on 31st January and 1st February 2004.
- Presented a paper on Isolated systolic hypertension in elderly – GERICON 2004 Jodhpur.
- A Lecture given – second annual conference of IAG at AIIMS New Delhi – Frailty in Elderly.
- Taken part in symposium on Osteoporosis – Non-pharmacological management of Osteoporosis at second annual conference of IAG , AIIMS NewDelhi.
- Presented Health aspects of Elder Abuse,on Elders Day organized by HelpAge India-October 2005.
- Presented Risk factors for fractures in elderly at third annual conference IAG Trivandrum-2005.
- Presented acute confusional state in Elderly at Indian Association of Geriatric Mental Health, Lucknow 2005.
- Presented on Frailty at Midterm Conference – Geriatric society of India - September 2005.
From 2008 - 2009
- Presented a paper on Fall prevention Strategy at AIIMS NewDelhi – 2006.
- The Department was an investigating centre of Multinational study – INTRA PROJECT II & III January – 2006 .
- Pre-Retirement counseling on Health aspects organized by HelpAge India – Sep 2006.
- WHO Training program for primary care physicians – 2007.
- Presented a paper on prevalence of falls in elderly in India, in the WHO workshop on fall prevention strategies at Victoria, Canada – Feb 2007.
- Project meet to facilitate guidelines to develop Geriatric Medicine in teaching hospitals- 2008.
- National CME on Geriatrics – 2009.
Presented a paper on prevalence of delirium in post operative patients in the Annual conference of IAG in BHU, Varanasi
- Presented a paper on prevalence of urinary incontinence in elderly women in the Annual conference of IAG in BHU, Varanasi
Prizes and Awards
- Presented a paper on prevalence of sarcopenia in elderly in the Annual conference of IAG in CMC, Vellore
- Poster Presentation on prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in elderly in the Annual conference of IAG in CMC, Vellore
- Poster Presentation on nutritional status in elderly in the Annual conference of IAG in CMC, Vellore
- Panel discussion on Palliative care in elderly in the Annual conference of IAG in CMC, Vellore
- CME on falls and fracture prevention on the occasion of elders day on October 1st.
- CME on immunization in elderly on the occasion of elders day on October 1st.
Dr V.S. Natarajan prize exam for undergraduate students.
Number of unit functioning:1
OP days and timing : Monday to Saturday 8.00am - 10.00am
Speciality clinic :10.00 - 11.30am
IP units and admission day
Bed strength of department: forty beds
Average OP consultation: one fifty patients per day
Average IP : 70 per month
Special clinics conducted by the department: Osteoporosis clinic, Sarcopenia clinic