Short History of the Department
Government General Hospital, Madras founded in the year 1664, is one of the premiere medical institutions in India. The Madras Medical College was established in the year 1850. The college became the centre of excellence imparting training in all specialities in the field of Medicine & Surgery.
The Department of Surgery established right from the inception trains medical students & Post graduates in the field of surgery. Along with the allied specialities the department performs around 42, 000 surgeries annually.
The faculty and the members of the department yearn to provide improved teaching & learning process, to inculcate a strong professional commitment, to update the skills and to interact with national and international academic institutions.
The department was upgraded to the status of an institute in the February 2014.
Type of Course: Medical
Name of Course offered: M.S (General Surgery)
Eligibility: MBBS degree with qualification in entrance exam
Course duration: 3 years
Sanctioned no. of seats: 20
Affiliated University: The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University
Selection Procedure: Counselling according to merit list in NEET - PG (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test -formerly known as AIPGMEE/TNPGMEE)
University examination details:
General surgery theory paper, followed by clinical examination at the end of the course.
Periodic academic activities held in the department:
1. Outpatient Clinical Demonstration for Final MBBS & II MBBS students is done by Professor of Surgery Daily.
2. Ward Clinics demonstration for Final MBBS & II MBBS is done daily.
3. Bedside clinical teaching, ward round teaching & clinical demonstration for PG & CRRIs are also done daily.
4. Theory classes are conducted for PGs, UGs, BDS, Nursing & other courses.
5. Clinical Society meeting, symposium, seminars are conducted regularly for both UGs, PGs.
6. General Clinics for PGs conducted every 2 weeks.
7. Journal Clubs, tumor board discussion for PGs, monthly.
8. Periodic Model exam in theory & clinical for UGs, Pgs.
9. Internal assessment & Medal exam are also conducted.
10. Annual National PG CME - SURGICON
The Institute of General Surgery at MMC is dedicated and committed to
A. Provide the best and most innovative surgical care,
B. Perform cutting edge basic science and translational surgical research
C. Serve as a premiere educational forum for training of tomorrow’s surgeons.
Post graduate students
for M.S (GS), M.S (Ortho), M.D (OG), & Mch(Neuro) are posted to the institute of general surgical to hone their surgical skills and acumen.
Currently the Institute of General Surgery has 35 full-time faculties participating in teaching research and clinical activities at MMC. More than 200 undergraduate medical students and 35 post graduates are trained, annually in didactic courses and on clinical rotations. Teaching General Surgery (clinical, theory, operative surgery), in batches is done throughout the year. These include teaching during OPD classes, Ward rounds, Ward clinics, operation in OTs & theory classes for both UG’s & PG’s.
for MBBS (Final year, 1st clinical, pre-final students)
The clinical experience is remarkable both in number & variety of cases. The principles of graduated responsibility and early opportunities for independent decision making are emphasized throughout the duration of training. The overall emphasis of the programme is to provide our trainees with the opportunities to become excellent clinical surgeons, experienced teachers, and accomplished scientific investigators.
studying BDS, Nursing, Physiotherapy and OT technician courses are given training in clinical and operative surgery.
– On completion of graduation, this residential programme helps the CRRI to get trained in the surgical management (both elective & emergency surgery) of common cases.
Clinical society meetings
are held weekly. Complicated and interesting surgical problems are discussed.
- Single theme analysis of a surgical condition is held monthly.
- Demonstration of surgical procedures are done periodically and live teleconferencing from the Operation Room helps surgical trainees interact and learn operative surgery.
- Small group discussion of the recent advances in surgery (as published in journals)
- Internal assessment exams, model exams, prize exams & university examination in surgery conducted for all branches of undergraduates and post-graduates.
- Conducted monthly
- Research papers are presented during the regional & National conferences.
Research and Publications (National and International - for the past 5 years / year wise)
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS BY MEMBERS OF THE STAFF DURING THE LAST 3 YEARS
OESOPHAGEAL – GASTRIC ANASTAMOTIC LEAKAGE
||SPLENIC CYST – RARE PRESENTATION
||CASE SERIES OF MESENTERIC ISCHAEMIA
||CASE SERIES OF FOREIGN BODY IN GIT
||ROLE OF PERCUTANEOUS INTERVENTION IN ACUTE
||VASCULAR DISORDERS & ITS INTERVENTIONS
||A CASE OF JEJUNAL GIST
||MALIGNANT ADNEXAL TUMOR
||A CASE STUDY ON JEJUNAL DIVERTICULOSIS`
||IDIOPATHIC CALCINOSIS SCROTUM
||A RARE CASE OF AGGRESSIVE ANGIO-MYXOMA – PELVIS
||GALL BLADDER – MELANOMA
||AN INTERESTING CASE OF SIGMOID OBSTRUCTION
||INTERESTING NECK SWELLING
||A NEW TECHNIQUE OF ANTRECTOMY
||INTERESTING SCALP TUMOR –FOLLICULAR CARCINOMA METASTASIS
||DIAGNOSTIC DILEMMA IN A CASE OF ABDOMINAL SWELLING
Prizes and Award constituted by the Department
Dr.S.Rangachari Memorial Prize examination – II MBBS, pre-final, Final MBBS
Dr.G.V.James Prize exam for surgery – II MBBS
Dr.Black Gold Medal Exam, Maitland Prize Exam – Final MBBS
Dr.Edward Learde Chalkie prize exam – M.S. in General Surgery
Prizes and Awards won
SUNDARAM AWARD for day care surgery revisited in CHENNAICON – 2008
Best paper award for hepatic hydatidosis in ROCKON 2008
Gold medal in the medal exam conducted by government Royapettah hospital
First prize in surgical quiz in endocrine surgery upadate conducted by ASI city chapter at St. Isabelle’s hospital
First prize in surgical quiz at St.Isabelle’s hospital CME programe on salivary gland tumors
Champions of Sister.Nirmala memorial quiz held at St.John’s medical college CSEP programme.
ASI Travel Fellowship Award 2011 (PG) in ASI, ASICON, Pondicherry
Best poster Award in ASI, TANSICON, Pondicherry, Madurai, Tanjore
Best Free Paper Award in ASI, ASICON, Pondicherry
Best Free paper award in ASI,ASICON, Ludhiana
CMEs’, Workshops / conferences conducted by the department (past 5 years / year wise)
No. of Units in the dept.: 8
O.P days & timings: all days in the week. Timings: 7.30am to 12 noon
Bed strength of Dept.: 320
Average OP: 13170 / month (new + old)
Average IP: Admitted: 1423; Discharged: 1824; death: 47
Type of surgeries performed:
All major & minor emergency/elective open and laparoscopic general surgical procedures.
1. Abdominal surgeries – total gastrectomy, partial gastrectomy, TVGJ, Lap/open Splenectomy, small/large bowel resection & anastamosis, Whipple’s procedure, Anterior resection, APR, Limited resection, Hemicolectomy, cholecystectomy – open/lap, CBD exploration;
2. Endocrine - Total / hemi thyroidectomy, Simple mastectomy, MRM, Adrenalectomy;
3. Oncological - Neck dissection, Wide local excision with reconstruction;
4. General Surgical - Inguinal hernia, Ventral Hernia, Incisional hernia, hydrocele, haemorrhoids, fissure in ano, fistula in ano, varicocele surgery, orchidopexy, orchidectomy, Parotidectomy;
5. Vascular - varicose veins;
6. Plastic - skin grafting, rotation flaps;
7. Acute Care Surgery – Blunt/Penetrating Abdominal injuries/ Trauma care Surgery, Appendicectomy;
8. Septic cases, including amputations;
Sebaceous cyst excision, lipoma excision, dermoid cyst excision, ganglion excision, lymph node biopsy, circumcision, I&D, wound suturing, wound debridement.