VOLUNTARY WHOLE BODY DONATION
Voluntary body donation can be defined as the act of donating one’s body after death for medical research and education.
Voluntary whole body donation is a generous act for those who wish to be useful to the living even after death. The donated body will be utilized for research and study purposes.Whole body donation is different from organ donation, which is variedly referred to as cadever donation, transplant donation and cadaveric organ donation.
PROCEDURE TO REGISTER FOR VOLUNTARY WHOLE BODY DONATION:
· The application form for registration is available at the Institute of Anatomy, Madras Medical College both in Tamil and English.
· Any individual above 18 years of age can register for voluntary body donation. However , individuals of the younger age group may exercise discretion for obvious reasons before registering.
· The filled in application should be signed by the proposed donor and 2 witnesses who can be near relatives or friends.
· The completely filled in application form with a recent passport size photo affixed, along with a photocopy of the filled in application form should be submitted in person or through post to the Institute of Anatomy, Madras Medical College.
· One additional recent passport size photo of the proposed donor should be provided / sent along with the filled in application form. The photo affixed in the application form for registration and the additional photo given should be one and the same.
· After appropriate scrutiny of the information provided in the application form, the proposed donation will be registered by the Institute of Anatomy and a register number issued.
· The Identity Card bearing the photograph and the register number will be mailed to the residential address of the proposed donor.
INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED AT THE TIME OF DONATION:
Death of the donor due to any natural cause should be reported by the relatives within 4 hours after death to the Institution .The contact numbers are:
1. The Director, Institute Of Anatomy, MMC: 044-25305301
2. Resident Medical Officer, MMC&RGGGH: 044- 25305529
3. The Vice Principal, MMC: 044-25305301
4. The Dean, MMC&RGGGH: 044-25305301.
· The body of the donor should be brought to the Institute of Anatomy ,MMC ( if between 8am and 3pm on working days) and handed over with requisite documents.
· If it happens to be a holiday or a non –working day, after due intimation and permission of the RMO, the body may be lodged within the mortuary of RGGGH. The office of the RMO may be contacted with regard to this at the appropriate time.
· Documents to be provided at the time of donation:
1. Death certificate issued by a registered medical officer indicating the cause and time of death.The original and photocopy of the death certificate should be given.The original will be returned after verification.
2. No objection letter written and signed by spouse/ children/close relative in duplicate.
· The relatives / friends of the deceased have to transport the body to the Institute of Anatomy, MMC within 24 hours of death.
· The body will be received at the Institute of Anatomy, MMC on all working days from 8.30 am to 3.30 pm.